Sunday, May 07, 2006

Home Again

Started a busy week Wednesday afternoon when I left for Edmonton. I couldn't get into my usual hotel, so I booked into Sutton Place. It gave me a 10-block walk to the office, but it was a nice day and I needed the exercise. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it right away and drove around in circles a few times before I saw the right turn-off. I got some interesting comments as I was driving with windows rolled down on such a nice day, it seems I had forgotten to remove my Calgary Flames flag from the car window. There is no comparing the rivalry between Calgary & Edmonton. I removed it as soon as I settled into the hotel parkade, and was really glad I did after watching the game that night. 'nuff said!! Calgary-bashing is a favorite passtime in Edm, and they had lots of ammunition after that sad game.

My two days in Head Office were very productive, I claimed over $17 Million of the province's housing budget for my shelter projects. It's been a rough couple of weeks getting the supporting information I needed before I could process the requests, shelter operators are great social workers but do not usually have much background in business and accounting. The homeless shelters in Calgary and Southern Alberta count on me to make sure their paper work is in order so that they can get what they need from the government. I work for the provincial government as a Housing Advisor. Since my counterpart in Edmonton has been on sick leave for 2 years and probably won't be coming back to work, I had to do some work on the Edmonton and North files too. Things should slow down a little in June, July & August.

Thursday night I met my former neighbour, Bev, and we shopped for a bathing suit for me. I took her to dinner to celebrate her birthday, and she gave me a tour of the new house she was finally able to move into. What a great design - high ceilings, 3 levels, a loft area. Makes my little townhouse look pretty shabby. Bev is happy with her new job and her new home, and that's what's important.
Friday afternoon our ministry hosted a Employee Recognition ceremony where the Minister recognizes people who are celebrating milestones like 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. years with the government, or who have retired during the year. One guy in our department had 35 years! There was a fancy buffet lunch and lots of boring speakers, but I got to sit with some of my friends from Head Office. We got out early, and I drove to Morinville to spend the night getting caught up with 'Berta & Joe.
It's been a long time since it was just the three of us, and we enjoyed hours in the hottub, with me in my new bathing suit. I gave the "big guy" his birthday present early because we never know when we will see each other. Every time I visit, 'Berta's done something new to the house. This time it was a new and improved home office.

I got up relatively early because I had to be back in Calgary for Vertigo Mystery Theatre with the girls. The play was great "A Spider's Web". You've heard the saying : "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". It certainly described this play, and was one of the closing lines. I had just munched on some junk food on the way from Edmonton, so I went out to The White Spot for dinner with the girls afterward. If you ever go there, you have got to try the Victorian Chicken Salad - delicious.
At 7:30 I joined some of my work-mates for a "girls night out" where Gail hosted and had representatives from Fifth Avenue jewelry and some Intimate Products. Sad to say I didn't have a clue what most of the things were. There were 2 ladies doing massage and pedicures. I really needed the massage after 3 days on the road. I got a little carried away with the Fifth Avenue jewelry, so those of you who live in Calgary will be invited to attend my party on Saturday the 13th. I got 50% off my purchases just for booking a party, and my guests don't even have to buy anything. By the time I got home, and unloaded the car with my suitcase, briefcase, etc. I was exhausted - I hadn't been home since Wednesday morning. I didn't get up until 11:00 AM today. I was surprised the cats stayed in bed with me that long.

And now I'd better sign off so I can finish my laundry before I go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home