Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Sprinter...NOT!

I was contemplating my life yesterday (Saturday!) as I was rushing to a city planning presentation downtown relating to Calgary's "gentrification" of the East Village area where most of my shelter projects are located. Meanwhile, I was worrying about the appointment I had forgotten that was scheduled at the same time with City of Calgary water works who want to install a new meter in my house. Chris usually doesn't work on Saturdays, but he did yesterday, so he wasn't here to let them in. They gave me a window of 1:00 to 3:00PM, but I saw the van drive away as I was pulling into my back alley around 2:00. I suppose now they'll sic the By-Law enforcement people on me. Do you ever feel like most of our lives, we are like sprinters at the starter's block waiting for the pistol to go off? After my second cup of coffee, usually consumed in the car on the way to someplace, I'm like a coiled spring ready to let go. But don't worry, I'm not heading for a heart attack. My doctor referred me to a cardiologist for a stress test. I have a strong heart, low cholesterol, and good blood pressure. They assured me if I lost some weight and got more exercise, I'd probably live forever!

I went to the AGM for the YWCA where my department provides some of the funding. I ended up in a newspaper photo with what looked like a scowl on my face. The reason I was looking so intense is that we were discussing domestic violence and shelters for women. That kind of funding usually goes through another department, Children's Services, but it seems that when it comes to homeless shelters and special needs housing, there is a lot of overlap. We fund only 5 beds there. I'm not very good at politics, but I hope to be able to find them some provincial funding for more beds under our programs.

The walking program I started is stalled for a while. I have blisters on both heels from my foray last Thursday that have to heal before I can do much on my feet. The solution, I suppose, is to get my bike up from the basement. We certainly have been having good enough weather for biking in the park. Fish Creek Park, which is just down the hill from where I live, has miles and miles of biking and walking trails with beautiful scenery. I took my new digital camera, but got a "memory card full" message after only five pictures, so I guess I'll have to read the manual to figure out what I did wrong.

So today, I've got a few reports to compile on meetings and seminars that I attended in the past couple of weeks, and I'd better get started.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Alberta said...

Most memory cards that come with cameras are small, so can not hold many pictures. Watch the sales for a larger one.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Alberta said...

Most memory cards that come with cameras are small, so can not hold many pictures. Watch the sales for a larger one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home