Friday, March 10, 2006

Power Shopping

Spring is around the corner, time to freshen up and thin out my wardrobe. Although it appears I'm destined to be "sveltely challenged" for awhile longer, that doesn't mean I can't look good. Anything that I haven't worn during the season gets taken out and either packed for the shelters, taken to consigning, or stored for that time when I can fit into them (that includes most of the clothes I bought during my power-shopping trip with you 'Berta). Anybody who wants to benefit from the fall-out, visit me this weekend!

Power shopping is not to be confused with impulse shopping, oh no, it has to be researched and carefully planned out. I've been stalking the Pennington store that is undergoing renovation for a month now, and they are finally having their "Buy 1, get second for 40% Off sale". When I get into the store, I make sure I have at least an hour, two would be better, and wear a quick-change outfit to save time. I enlist the help of a good sales rep to help me pick out sizes and colors, then we fill up a dressing room with dozens of outfits. The sales rep hovers by the door to snag the items thrown over the divider with instructions to get one size bigger/smaller, etc. Be prepared to try on 3 to 5 pairs of brown pants to get the ones that match a few jackets, are already on sale, and fit comfortably. By the way, did you know brown is the new black this season? I found three separates that go very well together, olive brown shorter-length blazer matching pants and a wonderful satin blouse with turquoise, brown, beige, pink, in a sort of tie-dyed pattern, a great business suit. Add a brown tiered long shirt with a matching peasant blouse, and of course a second peasant blouse in blue at 40% off to wear in summer. Found a nice blouse with a kind of sky-and-clouds pattern. Got light-weight tweed blue pants with a tailored blouse in a pin-stripe pattern of corresponding colors, 4 pairs of trendy cotton capri pants (brown, navy, beige, and black) which were a great deal, 2 funky belts marked down from $16 to $5 and 40% off that. Whew, what a rush! When I got the bag home I found the sales rep had thrown in a bracelet to match the belts. I had to take back one of the blouses next day because the snaps kept opening, got it replaced, then also bought a coral "hoodie" and a great tan purse that will hold everything I like to carry around. All for under $400! There's a 3-piece pant-suit that I have my eye on too. It's only $89 but I'll wait until it goes down some more before buying it.

Now for the impulse shopping. I was in Chinook Mall and happened to be passing by Payless Shoes. I did my usual quick walk-through to check of the Size 7's and did a double-take at a wonderful pair of fashion boots. You know, the kind you can't stand in for more than an hour at a time, and that you wouldn't get anywhere near rain or snow. They're tan suede and leather, with almost a cowboy boot kind of trim, on sale for $30. And to top it all off, I saw a fancy shirt in a butterscotch color while walking by Ricki's that I just had to have.

Now I'm ready for the Spring Convention in Jasper, the Fall Convention in St. John's and all the business meetings I have to attend at work and out of town in the next couple of months.

Oh yes, and right beside Pennington's is a Goodwill store. I'm always amazed at the treasures you can find in those places, sort of like "Frenchies" in New Brunswick. There was a satin evening bag that is a perfect match to the gown I bought when I was maid-of-honor at Kathy's wedding. Found a tall bud vase that matches the green glass collection I have in my downstairs bathroom; some traveling cosmetic/toiletry bags; an owl to go with the bird house collection I have on top of the bookshelves in my living room; and miscellaneous wall hooks for belts and necklaces. All for under $15.

It's a good thing I allow myself only one credit card for business purposes. Sometimes my shopping forays can get a little intense.

3 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

You always know when to shop and get good deals! I need to buy some new spring clothes, I weeded out my 'too big' stuff last year and never got around to replacing any of it, I think I was hoping to go down another size but that didn't quite happen. Have you gone for your facial yet? I still have a 1/2hour massage at the Mac. Towne chiropractic clinic to use by March 31st '06...not sure if I'll use it or not, I'm not really into massages by strangers...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Heather and Jeff and baby Jonathan said...

OR.....

you could visit me at work and I'll get you set with some Carhartt...teehee...why not look good when you work??? if its good enough for Mike (holmes)

H

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Lucie & Co. said...

I have no idea what Heather is saying in her comments???

Les, I certainly did use the coupon for an hour-long facial. It was heavenly, took away the dried-up skin cells the dry winter created. I plan to go back to Eveline Charles each quarter.You don't know what you're missing. If a full-body massage makes you uncomfortable, just get a neck & shoulder - that's all they could do in one-half hour anyway. Thanks again for the discount on the coupon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home