Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Wedding


I just had to share this story after so much talk about weddings.

My friend Kathy sent me an e-mail on Wednesday last Fall to ask if I could be her Maid of Honour on that Saturday. Her MOH had to leave the province because of a death in the family. Kathy was frantic because her only bridesmaid was her 12-year-old daughter. She wanted to know if I could fit into a size 12 dress (Yeah, right!!). I asked what her colour scheme was (emerald green) and told her I would do this as my wedding present to her. I rushed over to a consignment store during my lunch break and found the perfect dress. I had one of the girls in the office take a picture with the digital camera which I sent to Kathy for approval. Then we made plans to meet Thursday night to discuss details, and for me to meet the groom-to-be. Great guy, a perfect match for her. Then I learned that the person who had promised to take care of the flowers didn't come through. Off we went, to the nearby Safeway of all places. We were helped by a very friendly lady in their flower shop, and by the end of the evening, we had them picked out in nice fall colors. The rehersal dinner was Friday night when I got to meet the rest of the wedding party and the family members. It went well except that the lasagna was still half-frozen so had to be micro-waved in small batches. I particularly enjoyed meeting the Best Man as we had a lot of interests in common. He used to be a "roadie" with some rock bands when he was younger, and he loves to dance. We made plans to meet at her place on Saturday morning for the hairdresser appointment. Kathy had made reservations at her hairdresser for 10:00 AM (in Kensington which is at least a half-hour from her place) then we had to find parking. I ended up with an interesting "fifties" updo (remember bubbles??). The wedding was at 2:00 PM and I still had to do her make-up before getting dressed. The ceremony was in a charming little church in the NE, and the reception was in Balzac which is about a half-hour north of Calgary. I was a little surprised when I was handed the microphone and expected to make a speech, but I blustered my way through it even though it was a "dry" reception. Being outside the city, it was pitch dark when I finally left, and of course I got lost and drove around in circles in Coventry Hills, NE Calgary for awhile before I found Deerfoot Trail and made it home.

God, I love my life. It's never boring!

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Anne said...

You do have such a busy and interesting life. You should consider writing short stories of your many adventures. Would make for great reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home