Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mid-May in Calgary

Greetings, all. It's 28 degrees at lunch time in Calgary, and I'm stuck in an air-conditioned office. I hope it's this nice for the long weekend. I'm taking Friday off as well, giving me four days off in a row. Everybody will be putting in their bedding plants this weekend. My tiger lilies are a few inches high, and there are some other mystery shoots coming up from last year's plantings. Last year the lupins I planted in front were 3 feet high, but all leaves. They don't seem to grow well out here.

I hosted a Fifth Avenue Jewellery party at my place on Saturday, but only 5 people came if you count the the two kids Kathy brought with her. We had fun watching them acting like typical happy 12-year-olds. There was lots of wine, fruit, cheese, and other goodies and, surprisingly, not too many left-overs. At Gail's party last weekend, I had bought a tiger-eye bracelet & earring set, silver/gold chain chocker, silver marquisite ring with black stone, gold anklet, and a beautiful earring and pendant set in crystal called "Cracklin Rose" . I also ended up with a pewter colored heart pendant with 5 stones and got 50% off the most expensive purchase for booking my own party. At my party, I got the tiger-eye necklace to match the set, a chunky silver ring with 3 big blue topaz stones, another anklet, toe-rings, and a fancy pinky ring. I'm not quite sure how their bonus gifts work yet, but I was given another pewter necklace, and a beautiful earring and necklace in carved sliver flowers with cubic zirconia in the middle for free. I'm planning to host a lunch-hour party here at the office on the 24th. After that, I'll be covered for all the birthdays, and even have some for Christmas gifts.

I'm going to my first Progress Club meeting in over two months tomorrow night. I've been so busy and travelling out of town so much the last couple of months for work that I didn't have time for much else. It will be nice to see the girls again and get caught up. I'm sure everyone will be talking about the upcoming convention in Jasper as the beginning of June. I've been so looking forward to getting into the mountains again.

I was supposed to golf with Linda on Sunday morning, but my back problems were too bad to even consider it. I had her over to my place for lunch instead, and gave her her birthday gift. She brought me some beautiful yellow tulips. Linda is 3 weeks older than me, and we've been close friends since I lived in Fredericton.

I called Mom late on Mother's Day, and she is doing well. She hadn't gotten my card yet and thought I had forgotten (as if!!!). Louis had another accident on his motorcycle on the way home from taking Mom out for Chinese food. Not his fault, apparently, he ran into a car that pulled out in front of him and the driver admitted it was his fault. He wasn't badly injured, no broken bones, just a lot of painful scrapes and bruises. They didn't even keep him in the hospital overnight. I think it's time for him to hang up his helmet for good. Lee Anne is still doing very well in her pharmaceuticals course, and she and her boyfriend, Al, is renovating Mom's house. Mom is very excited about getting the things done that she's been wanting for so long.

I started massage therapy at the same office as my Chiropractor yesterday, and although I found the whole experience quite painful, it seems to have helped. I paid for five sessions in advance to get a discount, so hopefully it will make a difference. The recliner I bought at The Brick is now in my living room and gives me pretty good back support when I'm reading or watching TV. I guess I'm just not quite as limber as I used to be.

And I think that brings everything up to date.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Alberta said...

Lucie, just how many hours are in YOUR days? I just don't know how you do it ALL!

Glad to hear that you have a good chair for sitting...I know you can read for hours and when you have a great book, time sures does fly by...Joe has had the odd late supper because I wasn't paying attention to the clock!

My garden is slowly coming to life. I lost one hardy rose over the winter but replaced it with 2 more! Isn't that the way it goes?

I hope you have a great 4 days off, take it easy and relax a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home